Thursday, March 22, 2007

Rejection



I think the reason why I haven't sent out my book again is because I have no feedback. I am so insecure about my writing. I need constant "okays", otherwise I feel like I am doing something I horribly wrong and I imagine that when my book lands in the hands of a publisher, he/she will call everyone into thier office and the publisher will read a couple of my paragraphs and have a great laugh ending with the publisher sighing in aggravation, "Everyone thinks they can write" and then he/she will toss my book into the wastepaper basket, followed by a styrofoam coffee cup holding a small amount of coffee in it. The remains of the beverage will roll onto the book, smearing it's title. The book will lay in the wastepaper basket in a totally pathetic and undignified position until the janitor picks it up at the end of the day.

He will be intrigued and will sit to read it. He will grab the cloth rag hanging on the side of his maintenance workers uniform. He'll wipe the coffee off of the title page, look around to make sure no one spots him slacking off then he'll sit on the plush, leather publisher's chair and begin to read but he'll become quickly bored and say, with a smirk on his face, "Everyone thinks they can write."

Then he'll reach into the bottom of his cleaning cart and take out a stack of copied paper enclosed in a manila envelope. It is his book titled, "Maintaining my life". He will place it on the top of the pile of manuscripts, on the publishers desk.

The next morning the publisher will it up and begin to read it. He will be totally entranced and riveted by the book and will call his assistant to find the author of the book. The assistant willnod in obedience and rush out of the office to perform the task of tracking down the writer. The publisher will then smile like a cheshire cat and will be pleased that he has the next best seller in his possession.

No comments: