Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rise! Are You Still Sleeping?

Earlier today, my younger sister was speaking to me about how she was reflecting on the Garden of Gethsemene and how she read about Jesus crying when He prayed, just before being whisked off to His death.
Tonight I sat to continue my nightly Bible reading when lo and behold I was on the very chapter my sister was talking about this morning.(Matthew 26: 36-46)I think someone is trying to tell me something.
I begin reading and notice little things like the fact that the Lord's last supper was in the home of a man who remained anonymous and a home that Jesus requested specifically.I wondered why this man's name was not mentioned and why God chose to have the last supper at that particular home. I continue to read. The Last supper was on Passover. Jesus says He will not drink from the fruit of that vine again until the day when He drinks it anew with US in His Fathers Kingdom! I start to reflect on His return and us living eternally with Him in Heaven.I think of how I am so grateful for the sacrifice and my salvation which was graciously given to me so that I can have eternal life with The Father.
After the supper they sing a hymn.I wonder which Hymn they sang. What were the lyrics of the hymn? After they sang they all went to the Mount of Olives.
I read that in the very night of the Lord's supper,our Savior is very sad. He is filled with sorrow. The Bible says unto death. He is in anguish. In this anguish He sadly asked the disciples to stay and watch with Him. Then He turned, walked a few steps, fell on His face and prayed.He prays,"If it is possible let this cup pass from me but Your will be done,not mine" After this prayer He rises to His feet, turns to the disciples and sees that after He asked them to stay and watch with Him, they were asleep. I read this and wince. The audacity is unbelievable. "What!"
He says, note the exclamation point."Could you have not watched with me for an hour? "Watch and pray" He tells them. "Watch and pray", He tells us, but we are asleep. How audacious of us. How unbelievable, that after specific instructions from Him, we dare to disregard His words and sleep. "The spirit is willing, the flesh is weak." He tells the disciples. He tells us. This was the first time He prayed... that very night, a very short time after He turns from the disciples and prays again and says the very same thing "If it is possible let this cup pass from me.Your will be done, not mine." He rises,turns toward the disciples and finds them asleep... again! They heard His words, they heard his request and chose to ignore Him and because their flesh was weak, they fell asleep.
So He left them prayed the same prayer once again. Three times He prayed that prayer. I read this and my heart is broken for the anguish and loneliness He must have felt.
After He prays the third time, He returns to the disciples and asks, " Are you still sleeping and resting?" He tells them "The hour is at hand and the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners." He tells them, "Rise (wake up) let us be going. See My betrayer is at hand.
Are we asleep? The Lord is trying to wake us up. The hour is at hand. The sinners are betraying Him, Today they mock Him, slander Him, blaspheme against Him and we sleep when He is asking us to watch. He tells us to watch and pray but our fleshly desires drive us to sleep. There is no time to rest or sleep. It is time to watch and pray.Do not disregard Him.

2 comments:

SHOPGIRL said...

And you say you are not a preacher... that was a great reflection and ehortaion :o)

Debbie said...

LOL I am not but God touched me as I read theses words and it was like a light went on..."are you trying to tell us something here?" I wondered. it was an awesome experience Glory to God