Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What Makes Me A Christian?


I have been observing the world around me, reflecting.
I decided an evaluation was necessary. I do this often and highly recommend it to others.
I asked myself this question, "What makes me a Christian?", and the obvious answer is because I am a Christ follower.

What does that mean?
Really?
Does that mean I must live a perfect life?
A life without sinning, sadness, anger, fear?

According to some around me, what makes a person a Christian is perfection. I must be perfect. I can not stray from the path in the slightest. Any infraction will cause me to lose my salvation and be condemned to Hell and damnation. That's pretty harsh. Things have been going on in my life that have caused me much sadness, fear and anger, does this make me less of a Christian?
There was a time when I wanted to die and now I am eager to live for Christ. I laugh a lot and but sometimes I am sad. I used to hold things in and try not to lash out in anger.
Many may say that perhaps my spiritual life is faltering and I need to work on it. Others may say that due to the circumstances that are surrounding me, my recent emotional ups and downs are normal for any human being Christian and Non-Christian.

Jesus Christ himself showed anger when the moneychangers were at the temple selling thier wares. He was appalled and said, "This is a house of Prayer" He knocked over the tables displaying the merchandise and told them to beat it(paraphrased) Matthew 21:11-13

If my anger is justified and due to some type of injustice then I suppose I can still be a Christian. If my anger is rooted from nothing, no reason at all then there is a problem. Being angry for the sake of being angry, bitter or resentful is not really Christ-like. The Bible shows me that Jesus was sad at times too. He cried just before His crucifixion. He cried when His friend Lazarus died. I think my emotions do not make me less of a Christian. A Christian will be angry at the abuse of others, injustice, discrimination and then do something about it.

What makes me a Christian is if I am truly saddened by the circumstances around me, The War, Darfur, child abuse,death.
What makes me Christian is if I, in some way or another to the best of my abilities do something about it, pray, donate time or money, protect, nurture or mourn.

The fact that things around me get me angry should not be judged. The fact that I cry because I am sad does not mean I have no hope left or that I no longer trust in God. It makes me more human. It makes me understand my world and the people in it even more, having gone through similar circumstances that cause certain emotions. I, personally am not edified or comforted by anyone who claims they never went through any drama in thier life and life is nothing but perfect for them. I find comfort in knowing people around me have gone through what I have gone through and survived.
I find it abnormal that a person can walk around self righteous,"perfect" without sin that attitude is just creepy. "Judge not lest thou be judged." "He who has no sin cast the first stone"

This is my favorite Bible story. Condensing the story; A woman was about to be stoned to death for adultery and they tried to justify this action but Jesus said, "He Who hath no sin cast the first stone." Go ahead if your perfect cast the stone. Of course no one did.

Just some thoughts

No comments: